Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Compass Learning - Logging in and Adding Your Students to Classes



Hello Everyone,

This is my first blog post this school year.    I plan on trying to post a few times each month (I know Bill Heasley is really pumped.  Don't worry Billy, I will post something about effective basketball dribbling drills sometime before Christmas).   

Now that NWEA testing is mostly completed, many teachers have told me they want to get students started on their individual learning paths within the Compass program.   I think this is a great idea.   Compass allows students to complete educational activities leveled at their individual abilities and supplies you with more data to track student progress, as well as, create additional instruction and remediation.   GVE don't forget to check out the computer lab schedule in the mailroom for times to get your kids logged into compass.  GVE, Fawn, and Fairmount I know the tablets can be a pain at times (especially for the younger grades) but try to utilize them for Compass in the class at least once a week.  Don't let them sit. 

As I move from school to school I have heard numerous teachers asking about getting started on Compass.     The two questions I have heard asked the most concern gaining login info and adding children to your Compass class roster.  So, with that in mind, I have decided to hopefully help answer some of those questions through this post.

Login Info

Your login info should not have changed from last year.  The website to access Compass Learning is www.thelearningodyssey.com.   Jonathan has kindly and recently added an icon to the desktop screens on the laptops and tablets to give everyone easy access to Compass.  If you can't get into your account and your computer is at risk of being smashed, thrown out the window, or run over by a tank ;), please email me and I'll reset your account so that you can get in and started.

Username:  firstinitial.lastname   (ex. a.lynch)

Password:  changeme12  (if you changed this from last year and cannot remember what your password is click on the "Forget Password?" link located beside the green login button.  An email should be sent to your Highlands email.  If this doesn't work, please email me and I'll reset your account to help you.

School:  Grandview = HSD-16
               Fawn = HSD-14
               Fairmount = HSD-13


Adding Students to your Class Roster

First, after logging in, if you have not done so, you want to remove students from last year's class.  Click on "My Classes" and then your class name.


















Then, "Select All" of your students by clicking the arrow in the tab shown below.













Next, in the "Action Tab" (shown below) choose "Remove Class"










Now that you have removed students from last year's class(es), you can begin adding students  to your class database.  Find the Search Box above the list of student names.









Next, type in a student from your class to search for their name in the student database.









Once your student is found, check the box beside their name and Click on the Actions tab.   Next, Click on












Next, Choose a class from the list of names provided. Continue process until all of your students are added to your class list.   (If a student receives help from a support teacher, it is a great idea to add that student to their class list as well.)











Hopefully, this blog will help some of you when logging in to your Compass account and adding students to your class list.  

Remember, if you are having trouble logging in or adding students to your class list, I am just an email away and I will be more than happy to help.   I can add new students to the Compass master list as well if you cannot find their name when compiling your class list.

As, always let me know how I can help you in anyway,

Andrew Lynch









No comments:

Post a Comment